While there is talk floating around of plastic surgery for moms involving a tummy tuck and C-section combination procedure, we recommend that our patients wait to have an abdominoplasty procedure until well after their childbirth experience.
Since all women are different, there is no perfect way to give birth. Each woman goes through her own unique childbirth experience which, for some, means a cesarean section.
C-sections may be performed for a variety of reasons, whether planned or not, and is considered a major surgical procedure from which ample healing time is necessary.
Pre-Surgery Diet and Exercise Tips
Women who have gone through pregnancy experience weight gain, specifically around the mid-section, that may be difficult to lose post-pregnancy. The skin in this area as well as loosened abdominal muscles all stretch out during the nine months during which a healthy baby is growing.
While a woman’s figure is an easy sacrifice to make for a thriving baby, it is common for a woman to also struggle with body image in the months and years following this joyous time of life.
Many experts promote the routine of a healthy diet and exercise for the purpose of regaining a pre-pregnancy figure, but this may not work as well for the patient who has had a C-section as it does for plastic surgery for moms who delivered by vaginal birth.
Hence, surgery with our Long Island or New York City surgeons may be an excellent body-transforming option.
Regardless, the following post-pregnancy health tips can be extremely beneficial:
- Get plenty of rest. If necessary, sleep when baby sleeps, as your body needs time to recover from nine months of giving to another human.
- Get plenty of protein, as this substance helps the body to repair, especially after a C-section.
- Reduce calories by eliminating unnecessary carbs from the diet. For energy, eat fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and beans - also a great source of protein.
- Exercise as your body allows. Especially after a C-section, activity will be limited. As you feel you can, begin walking a bit at a time, then increase activity slowly as the weeks pass.
- Be patient! A cesarean section is a major surgery. Therefore, post-pregnancy fitness plans will need to be adjusted accordingly. During this time when activity may be limited to simply breathing exercises and a bit of walking, be good to yourself and remember there is plenty of time to get back into shape.
Long Term Goals after Cesarean Section
Consider if additional pregnancies may be in your future, or if you are near your most suitable body weight for the removal of excess fat and skin post-pregnancy.
Plastic surgery for moms can be very tempting after imagining the idea of tummy sculpting, but it is important to have your long term goals in mind before undergoing another surgical procedure.
Visit Our Abdominoplasty Centers in New York City or Long Island
Our skilled plastic and cosmetic surgeons can help you in making a decision through thoughtful discussion. Contact us in Commack or NYC for your free consultation today!
Read more about this controversial debate over C-Section & plastic surgery for moms at TheStir.CafeMom.com.
*The information on this page is not intended to be used as medical advice in any way. Always consult with your doctor for any health related concerns and before starting a new diet or exercise program.