Going through a divorce is one of the most difficult periods of a person’s life. Changing your living arrangements, figuring how who gets custody of the children, dividing up finances, and losing friends can all take its toll on your mental and emotional state.
Here are several ways to work through a divorce and feel better afterward.
One of the most important things that you can do for yourself is to take care of your body and your mind. It’s so easy to let stress and responsibilities weigh you down while leaving yourself on the back burner.
Unfortunately, this is the worst thing you can do for yourself.
- Eating well should be your top priority. Try to get a rich variety of nutritionally rich and delicious foods, preferably ones that are organic and unprocessed. Also avoid eating fast food and candy. With whole foods, fiber content is high and you can get antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that are necessary for properly handling stress. You will sleep better with whole foods in your body as well!
- Take vitamins every day. A daily multivitamin and eating foods rich in B12 such as kidney beans and leafy green veggies can work wonders to de-stress your body and make you feel great from the inside out (http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/foods-feel-better).
- Be sure to hit the gym at least three times a week for one hour each time to keep your stress levels in check. Exercise is a great natural stimulant and produces serotonin which will keep you feeling happier mentally.
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep. Sleep helps to regulate our stress hormones, repair the body of damages from the day, and regulates the appetite. In times of high stress, we tend to lose sleep, wake up and drink caffeine, have more caffeine, eat sugar-filled or comfort foods, and then feel awful at the end of the day.
- Break the cycle by establishing a bedtime ritual and relaxing with a cup of herbal tea, a book to get your mind off of what is going on, and one full minute of slow, deep breathing after the lights go off. You will notice a huge difference in your quality and quantity of sleep the very first night!
Many of our patients who have gone through a divorce, either come in to see us after they feel they can finally focus on themselves for the first time in years. This might include getting a nose job, mommy makeover, tummy tuck, breast augmentation, or liposuction.
No matter which procedure you’re interested in, our plastic and cosmetic surgeons can help. Call our abdominoplasty New York centers for a free consultation. Our NYC tummy tuck office number is 212.206.0023 and our Long Island center number is 631.499.1831. We specialize in plastic surgery for moms!
Keep an eye out for part 2 next week!